how do I get this done?
Despite the vital role of foot mechanics in good health, until very recently there has been no way of accurately measuring how the foot functions as we walk.
The foot is in contact with the ground for about 0.8 seconds when walking and about 0.25 seconds when running. Far too fast to determine normal or abnormal foot function with the naked eye, even for the most experienced practitioner.
Custom orthotics have been used to control foot function for many years. But their prescription has relied on indirect methods of assessment like plaster casts and video gait (walking) analysis. These assessment methods are not able to accurately determine how the foot functions as we walk. It is also not fully efficient in diagnosis and treatment.
Computer Analysis of the Moving Foot
Gaitscan is the combination of state-of-the-art computer hardware and software that helps assess and analyze foot function. The pressure-sensitive platform is capable of assessing and showing in full color 2-D, 3-D, and graphical detail. This include the weight and pressure distribution of each foot that stood on or walked over the mat.
Digital gait scanning technology allows us to truly understand how forces and the timing of those forces occur across the foot as we walk. By comparing the results of these scans against the ideal foot function, having an in-depth understanding of biomechanics. With common misalignments of the foot, postural assessment, and other health and lifestyle factors that are relevant to the patient.
How Gaitscan works?
- Scans the foot – As you walk across the pressure plate, thousands of tiny sensors capture the distribution of pressure of your foot over time.
- Maps Foot Pressure – From your step, the computer displays 2D and 3D visual representations of the pressure under your foot. You can see where you have too much or too little pressure.
- Prints a Report – The information is then summarized in a report that can be printed. The report findings will help your practitioner evaluate your foot function and determine if the pain you are experiencing is related to faulty foot function.
- Determines the need for Orthotic Therapy – The information from this report will assist your health care practitioner to determine if you need orthotic therapy.
- Data is sent to the Lab -When it is determined that you will benefit from orthotic therapy your information is then sent securely to The Orthotic Group laboratory. From there, your custom-made orthotics are manufactured specifically for you and your feet.
Where misalignments of the foot are the cause of abnormal foot function (as is considered to be the case for around 70% of the population). A Gaitscan assessment is able to detect problems even before resultant pain and dysfunction develop.
By controlling and optimizing foot function even without existing pain and dysfunction, you can significantly reduce the risk of developing some of the many related health problems later in life.
Could Our Gaitscan Help You?
If you agree with any of the statements below, a Gaitscan could be of great value to you.
- My feet are sore on a regular basis.
- I spend a good portion of my day standing or walking on hard surfaces.
- I play sport regularly.
- Standing, walking or running gives me joint pain (ankles, knees, hip or back).
- I am over 40 years old.
- I have visible foot problems (bunions, fallen arches, corns, etc).
- One of my legs is shorter than the other.
- I have knock-knees or bow-legs.
- My shoes wear out quickly or unevenly.
- My parents had foot related symptoms.
Better Orthotic Solutions
The data produced from your gait scan can now be sent electronically to a laboratory to produce an orthotic customized for how you walk. It is now possible to prescribe a high-quality, semi-rigid thermoplastic 100% memory orthotic. It gently and consistently controls pronation and facilitates a more neutral alignment with every single step.